Communities and Place
UKSPF funding will be invested in activities to build thriving urban and rural communities and boost pride in place across the North of Tyne area. This will include regenerating high streets and town centres, supporting local cultural activities and events, investing in jobs and wellbeing in the most disadvantaged areas, building capacity in local communities to support themselves, and helping households to reduce energy costs and carbon emissions.
A total of £15.3m UKSPF funding is available to invest in communities and places in the North of Tyne area up to March 2025, of which £11.2m is revenue and £4.1m is capital.
The funding will support projects and activities in three programme areas.
Communities and place activities will deliver the following UKSPF outputs and outcomes:
- Jobs created and safeguarded
- Buildings and public realm developed and improved
- Increased footfall
- Local events supported
- Visitors attracted
- Organisations receiving support and funding
- Volunteering opportunities supported
- People attending training
- Households supported to take up energy efficiency measures
- The Government has identified investment in communities and places as a key priority for UKSPF funding as part of its Levelling Up policy and wants more funding to be allocated to place-based regeneration compared to the previous round of European Union funding.
- In addition to the planned UKSPF funding for communities and places identified above NTCA is providing millions of pounds in additional funding for other community regeneration activities. This includes Community Hubs, the High Streets Innovation Programme, Cultural & Creative Zones, tourism events and products, and our crowdfunding platform.
- This means that total investment in local communities and places in the North of Tyne area up to March 2025 will be significantly greater than the £15.3m available through UKSPF alone.
Approach to allocating UKSPF funding
The available UKSPF funding has been earmarked to support the following projects and activities in each Programme area, as described in the North of Tyne UKSPF Investment Plan approved by Government. For each project / activity, the approach to allocating the funding and the timescales are shown.
Local authorities, VCSE sector and community organisations are expected to deliver most of this activity as they are responsible for regeneration in local communities and places.
In addition to the above, further commissioning of other UKSPF communities and place projects / activities may be undertaken in due course. Information will be posted on this page at the appropriate time.
Information for organisations interested in delivering UKSPF funded communities and place activities
- Most of the UKSPF funding will be invested through the Programmes described above, which are being led by the local authorities in Newcastle, North Tyneside, and Northumberland. As some development work is already underway many organisations will already be involved in the development of the Programmes set out above. However, other organisations interested in being involved in these Programmes should express their interest using the contact details above.
- Where UKSPF funding will be allocated through open bidding calls, these opportunities and specifications will be published on this page in line with the timescales shown above.
- Updates about forthcoming opportunities will also be provided via NTCA’s social media channels.
If you have questions or comments about the information on this page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org