The Kickstart Programme is a government initiative that provides funding to employers to create 6-month job placements for 16-24-year olds on Universal Credit and at risk of long- term unemployment. The funding covers:
- 100% of the National Minimum Wage for 25 hours per week, for 6 months.
- Associated employer National Insurance contributions and minimum automatic enrolment pension contributions.
- A £1,500 initial payment to support employers with the cost of establishing the role and to provide employability support and training for the young person.
The Kickstart Scheme was recently extended, and DWP are now accepting applications from employers up to the 17th of December 2021, with young people being able to start their Kickstart placement up until the 31st of March 2022.
Cllr Karen Kilgour, Cabinet Member for Education, Inclusion and Skills said;
“The Kickstart Scheme is a great opportunity for local businesses to offer meaningful work opportunities to unemployed young people to kickstart their careers.
With the extension of the Kickstart Scheme to March 2022, NTCA are using this as an opportunity to further support our region’s recovery from the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic by working with more employers to grow their businesses and help local young people begin their journey into work.”
The North of Tyne Combined Authority are acting as a Gateway for the Kickstart Scheme. In assuming this role, we will help employers secure a Kickstart Scheme grant, whilst providing a unique ‘enhanced offer’ on top of the Governments core offer.
As a Gateway we provide:
- Support and advice to navigate the application process and answer any queries, through an online application process.
- The full £1500 initial payment for employers to help establish the role.
- Expert employability support from Newcastle Futures, our commissioned delivery partner, at no extra cost. Newcastle Futures will support both employers and young people involved in the scheme throughout the six month placement to ensure there is a useful, rewarding experience for both parties.
The extension is a fantastic opportunity for employers who haven’t yet benefitted from the scheme to take part, and for employers who’ve already recruited through the scheme to apply for more placements. We remain committed to working with employers who will create good quality placements in line with the expectations of the NTCA Good Work Pledge. We recommend any interested employers apply through us as soon as possible and we will be accepting applications until the 16th of December 2021.
If you would like to find out more, please see our webpage or contact us at Kickstartinfo@northoftyne-ca.gov.uk
The employer applications to the Kickstart scheme have now closed.